Current:Home > FinanceSafeX Pro Exchange|Holocaust museum will host free field trips for eighth graders in New York City public schools -WealthRoots Academy
SafeX Pro Exchange|Holocaust museum will host free field trips for eighth graders in New York City public schools
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 00:15:58
NEW YORK (AP) — A Holocaust museum in New York City will offer free educational field trips to eighth grade students in public schools in a program announced Thursday aimed at combating antisemitism.
The SafeX Pro Exchangeprogram will allow up to 85,000 students at traditional public schools and charter schools to tour Manhattan’s Museum of Jewish Heritage over the next three years, starting this fall. New York City is the largest school district in the nation, serving more than a million students. Organizers say the museum and the new program have the capacity to host up to one-third of the district’s eighth graders each year.
City Council member Julie Menin said she raised the idea with the museum after the Oct. 7 Hamas attacks on Israel, in an effort to combat rising antisemitism in the U.S. Incidents targeting Jewish and Muslim Americans have been recorded across the country since the Israel-Hamas war erupted, ranging from offensive graffiti to violence.
“We needed a proactive approach to combat this hatred at its roots,” Menin, a Democrat and daughter of a Holocaust survivor, said in a statement. “That’s why I approached the Museum of Jewish Heritage with the vision of a universal field trip program.”
The effort will cost around $2.5 million, with $1 million coming from the Gray Foundation, a nonprofit backed by Blackstone CEO Jon Gray that funds other programs for New York youths, as well as cancer research. Menin said the museum will look to other sources for the rest.
The museum already offers student discounts and free admission days. The new program will cover transportation, guides and take-home materials for the eighth graders, Menin said.
The tours will focus on the global history of antisemitism and propaganda that precipitated the Holocaust, as well as offering an experience for students to reflect on current events, Menin’s statement said.
Principals will play a key role in deciding which schools will participate in the program, Menin said in a phone call. Schools can sign up through the museum website.
New York City Public Schools spokesperson Nathaniel Styer said in a statement that “programming is a school-based decision, but the funding in this announcement will help remove barriers to participation.”
In testimony before U.S. Congress earlier this month, New York City Schools Chancellor David Banks said the city had already begun rolling out new measures to combat antisemitism in schools, including developing a new curriculum “highlighting the culture and contributions of the Jewish community.”
New York schools are required to teach about the Holocaust, with explicit curriculum covering the subject beginning in eighth grade.
veryGood! (537)
Related
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Larsa Pippen and Marcus Jordan Respond to Criticism of Their 16-Year Age Gap
- Many Nations Receive Failing Scores on Climate Change and Health
- With Coal’s Dominance in Missouri, Prospects of Clean Energy Transition Remain Uncertain
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Need an apartment? Prepare to fight it out with many other renters
- Could New York’s Youth Finally Convince the State to Divest Its Pension of Fossil Fuels?
- Russian fighter pilots harass U.S. military drones in Syria for second straight day, Pentagon says
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Jurassic Park Actress Ariana Richards Recreates Iconic Green Jello Scene 30 Years Later
Ranking
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Covid-19 and Climate Change Threats Compound in Minority Communities
- Britney Spears hit herself in the face when security for Victor Wembanyama pushed her hand away, police say
- These Father's Day Subscription Boxes From Omaha Steaks, Amazon & More Are the Perfect Gift Ideas for Dad
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Style Meets Function With These 42% Off Deals From Shay Mitchell's Béis
- The 100-year storm could soon hit every 11 years. Homeowners are already paying the price.
- The 100-year storm could soon hit every 11 years. Homeowners are already paying the price.
Recommendation
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Middle America’s Low-Hanging Carbon: The Search for Greenhouse Gas Cuts from the Grid, Agriculture and Transportation
A Key Nomination for Biden’s Climate Agenda Advances to the Full Senate
Starbucks workers plan a 3-day walkout at 100 U.S. stores in a unionization effort
The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
Amy Schumer Trolls Sociopath Hilaria Baldwin Over Spanish Heritage Claims & von Trapp Amount of Kids
We've Got 22 Pretty Little Liars Secrets and We're Not Going to Keep Them to Ourselves
OceanGate suspends all exploration, commercial operations after deadly Titan sub implosion